Terms and Conditions Governing Use of the PROE
The Puerto Rico On-line Encyclopedia (hereinafter the PROE) is a site, page or web portal (hereinafter the Web Site of the PROE) that is the property of the Fundación Puertorriqueña de las Humanidades (Puerto Rico Endowment for the Humanities, hereinafter PREH). The offices of the PROE/PREH are located at 109 San José Street, corner of Luna Street, third floor, in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico. The postal address is PO Box 9023920, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00902-3920. The telephones are 787-721-2087 and 787-754-4968. The fax is 787-721-2684. The e-mail address of the PROE is email@example.com, and the e-mail address of the PREH is firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Terms and Conditions governing access to and use of the PROE constitute an agreement between the PROE/PREH and all persons who access or use the PROE web site (hereinafter the User or Users). For access to and/or use of the PROE web site, all visitors are required to adhere to these Terms and Conditions, accepting them, from this moment on, fully and without reservation of any kind, as well as any Particular Conditions that may replace, complete, complement and/or modify these in some sense in regard to the services and content of the web site (hereinafter the content and services). By the sole fact of accessing and making use of this web site, the user thereupon accepts each and every one of these Terms and Conditions. As a consequence, users must read the Terms and Conditions carefully, as well as any Particular Conditions that may be issued, before accessing and/or using any content of the web site and they are entirely responsible for having done so. If a user does not accept the Terms and Conditions and/or any amendment, modification, addition and/or substitution thereof, he or she may not access and/or make use of the content of the PROE web site.
The content of the web site, page or portal of the PROE is the property of the PROE/PREH, as is the version/translation into English.
The service is free
Access to and use of the web site is free for users. All the information and the materials which appear on the site are offered at no charge and are for personal use (for educational or informational purposes) and not for business or commercial purposes.
Access to and use of the web site
Users undertake to use the PROE web site and its content without violating applicable legislation, or the good faith, morals and/or safety or order of the public. As a consequence, any use for illicit purposes or for purposes that are detrimental or constitute an obstacle to, or in ways that may damage and/or in any manner overload the use and normal functioning of the web site, or directly or indirectly threaten the web site or any right of third parties is strictly prohibited.
Users accept and agree that they will access and use the web site and its content only for strictly personal purposes (for educational or informational purposes) and not for business or commercial purposes.
It is expressly and strictly prohibited for users to introduce or incorporate the content and/or services of the PROE into a business or commercial activity of their own.
Users may not access or use the PROE to offer or send surveys, contests, pyramid-based schemes, chain letters and/or unsolicited e-mail or spamming, etc.
Bearing in mind that the information offered on the web site is provided for the user “as is” by academic and professional specialists, the PROE/PREH does not guarantee the accuracy or appropriateness thereof for special purposes and only assumes responsibility for the veracity, precision or accuracy of such information as is provided on the web site. Therefore, the PROE/PREH assumes no responsibility whatsoever for any damage, cost, harm or loss of any kind arising out of the lack of utility, appropriateness and/or validity of the content of the web site to satisfy specific needs, activities and/or results and/or expectations of users.
If a user makes use of the content of the web site, he or she must indicate that the content comes from the PROE. Articles must be cited as is indicated on the specific web page where the article appears.
The user represents that he or she is of legal age. In the case that he or she is a minor, his or her parents, tutors or responsible party, as the case may be, shall be responsible for the use that he or she makes of this web site.
The PROE does NOT compile personal information on its users. However, the PROE/PREH reserves the irrevocable right to compile, store and process relevant information on visits to the web site for statistical purposes in regard to the following: (1) the Internet domain and the Internet Protocol Number (IP number) of the connection or access, (2) the type of browser and operating system used to view the pages, (3) the date and time of the visit, (4) the pages on the web site that were visited, and (5) the external page from which the visit originated.
The data that the user voluntarily provides becomes part of a database in order to do the following: (1) maintain an archive of users for future communications, (2) determine what pages are most visited and the opinions and suggestions made in regard to them, (3) amend, modify, add to, replace and/or eliminate content, structure and design of the web site. The PROE/PREH undertakes to keep the data provided confidential. Users may exercise their right to correct, update or cancel any information they may have provided at any time.
The whole of the content of this web site – texts, images, graphics, video, sound and audio, files, brands, logos, color combinations, and all other elements of the structure and design, and the selection and form of presentation of the materials included therein – is the property of the PROE/PREH, except where it is expressly indicated otherwise.
These Terms and Conditions are subject to the laws of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico exclusively. Any dispute or controversy that may arise between users and the PROE/PREH, having to do with access and/or use of the web site of the PROE, its content and/or services, may be resolved only in the courts of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
In the case that a user is domiciled outside of Puerto Rico, he or she voluntarily submits to the jurisdiction and competence of the courts of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and waives any argument based on jurisdiction and/or competence.
The PROE/PREH assumes no responsibility of any kind arising from any damage and/or harm of any kind that may affect users as a consequence of or in any way related to the following:
- Access to or use of this web page, including responsibility related to damage caused by computer viruses, malicious or harmful programs as to content and/or any other agent that may infect or affect in any manner the computer system or systems utilized by users.
- A failure of third parties to meet their obligations or commitments in regard to the services provided to users though the web site.
- Faults in regard to the legality, quality, veracity, utility and availability of the content and/or services provided by third parties and offered to users of the web site.
- Faults in regard to availability, continuity, access, maintenance and effective functioning of the web site and/or its content and/or services and/or updating, accuracy, exhaustiveness, pertinence, currency and reliability, for whatever reason, and the technical or other difficulties or problems which have given rise to these.
- Reception, securing, storing, dissemination and/or transmission of the content of the web site by users.
- The web site includes in its content links with sites that belong to and/or are generated by third parties with the purpose of facilitating access to information available on the Internet. The PROE/PREH assumes no responsibility based on the existence of links between the content of this web site and content external to the web site or for any other reference to content that is external to this web site.
- Such links or references have an exclusively educational and informative purpose and in no case imply a relation of support, approval, marketing or any other between the PROE and the persons or authorial and/or other entities which have produced the content or the owners of the sites where they are located. In this sense, users are under the obligation to exercise maximum care and prudence when accessing or using content or services on sites reached using such links.
The above enumeration is illustrative in character and not, in any sense, exclusive or exhaustive at any point. Under any supposition, the PROE/PREH disclaims any responsibility for damages of any kind derived, directly or indirectly, from these and from any other unspecified case with analogous characteristics.
Linking to this Web Site
The conditions that must be met by users who wish to establish, with express prior authorization, a link between their page and the web site of the PROE:
- Links may be established with the web site if and when it is strictly for personal purposes (for educational and informational purposes) and not for business or commercial purposes.
- The pages through which the web site controls access to the web pages of the web site may not be reproduced.
- Links may only be made to the home page of the web site and/or the home pages of the primary sections, and not with pages other than the pertinent first page thereof, unless express prior authorization has been granted.
- In no case shall it be intimated that this web site has authorized the link or has in any way supervised or assumed the services or content offered by the web page from which the link is made.
- The creation of any type of browser or border environment over the pages of this web site is explicitly prohibited.
- Content that is contrary to the rights of third parties, or that goes against public order or morals and decent behavior, or that has illicit content or information shall not to be included on the web page from which the link is made.
- The existence of a link between a web page and this web site shall not be taken to imply the existence of relations between the PROE/PREH and the proprietor of that page nor of acceptance or approval of the services and content offered.
- The PROE/PREH reserves the right to interrupt unauthorized links or structures.
Unilateral modification of the Web Site
The PROE/PREH reserves the right to amend, modify, add to, replace and/or eliminate the content, structure, design, services and terms and conditions governing access to and/or use of the web site at any time, without the need of prior notification.
This post is also available in: Español